Will graduated from UMASS Boston with a BS in Computer Science and has a background in building software for healthcare organizations. By day, he works as a mild-mannered software developer focusing on Android, PC, web applications and games. By night, Will enjoys improv karaoke and telling jokes with friends.
Read on to learn more about Will!
1. Where’d you get educated and/or what jobs led you to your new job at MojoTech?
I have a bachelor's degree from UMASS Boston. Prior to MojoTech, I worked for a company that specialized in building software for healthcare organizations.
2. Before your life at MojoTech, what was the most interesting project you ever worked on?
I once spent a summer designing and building roller coasters. Some might take pride in how exciting their coasters were, how many inversions and how fast they went. Me? I liked to see them crash. I should maybe mention these were K’nex roller coasters I built in my bedroom when I was 10.
On the serious side, one of the most interesting professional projects I worked on was creating a mobile application that allowed people to navigate building interiors. Like Google maps but for the insides of multi-story buildings.
3. What do you enjoy most/least about engineering?
Seeing how things break. Putting things together and building them up is fun, but there is nothing like that one moment when you see how much something can take before it all comes crashing down into a pile of rubble.
4. What personal characteristics do you feel are necessary to be a successful engineer?
Persistence. You can only fail if you give up.
5. What do you get out of engineering that you couldn’t get from any other kind of work?
Rapid unscheduled disassembly.
6. Describe a time when you confronted a problem that really tested your engineering know-how.
I once had to determine how many jelly beans were in a giant jar filled with jelly beans.
7. Now that you’re at MojoTech, what are you most excited about?
Taking over the world. And teaming up with some really talented colleagues in order to do so.
8. Which professionals do you turn to or what blogs do you read for inspiration?
Recently, James S.A. Corey has been pretty big with me. Inspires me to dream big, and reach for the stars.
9. You’ve been banished to a deserted island with—gasp—no wifi, but lots of power outlets. What one piece of technology would you bring?
I’ve dreamed of being banished to a dessert island. I hope there is pie, that would be the best. Cookies would also be good.
10. What technology is going to take over the world next?
11. If you weren’t an engineer, what occupation would you choose?
12. What is your idea of happiness?
A warm fruit pie, strawberry probably. With a scoop of ice cream on top.
13. The red pill or the blue pill?
P.S. MojoTech is HIRING! Start working on your next challenge with great colleagues in a supportive environment.